What is Edcamp?
Edcamp & Unconferences (YouTube Playlist)
Transformative Teaching | Innovative Learning
Edcamp is a free “unconference” committed to reaching educators in public, private, charter, and higher education environments to share innovative instructional strategies and pioneering technologies that transform education for all students. Edcamp leverages the power of self-directed learning communities who support themselves and one another to be the best educators possible for students.
Aattendees start the day with breakfast, networking, and creating the schedule by proposing topics of interest. Every session is facilitated entirely by the educators in the room, and there are no formal presentations or pre-made slide decks.
Tenets of Edcamp
Expertise, Not Experts!
What kinds of sessions might happen at Edcamp?
- Discussions on issues in education
- Sharing lessons or units
- Inquiry sessions on using a new toolSharing something you’re passionate about
- Share a new tool and discuss the possible applications in the classroom
- Discuss new things you’d like to learn more about
- Share activities you’re looking to improve
- Anything else you can think of that other teachers would want to discuss!
Learn More About Edcamp from These Great People and Organizations
Here are some resources we enjoy, but a Google Search of “edcamp” or “unconference” will yield lots of additional articles, blog posts, and videos!
- Edcamp Foundation Website
- Whitepaper – Edcamp Foundation
- Edcamp: Teachers Take Back Professional Development (ASCD)
- Edcamp Gets $2M to Spread the Unconference Movement (EdSurge)
- Resources for Organizing an Edcamp (Edutopia)
- Edcamp Radio (BAM! Radio Network)
- “What is Edcamp?” by Kristen Swanson (pg 25-26 in Personalized PD)